- AP News in Brief at 5:58 a.m. EDT
Wary lawmakers ready to OK arms for Syrian rebels fighting Islamic State group in Iraq, Syria
Miami Herald. Wed, 17 Sep 2014 06:07 EDT.
- 10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
Miami Herald. Wed, 17 Sep 2014 06:02 EDT.
- US Congratulates Ukraine for ‘Making History’ in Forging Closer Ties with EU
The United States has congratulated the Ukrainian and European parliaments for simultaneous ratification of Ukraine’s Association Agreement with the European Union. ...
Voice of America. Wed, 17 Sep 2014 05:10:12 -0400.
- Why the U.S. is taking charge of the Ebola response
With no one really in charge of the international response to Ebola, the U.S. government is taking the lead.
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Wed, 17 Sep 2014 05:00:00 EDT.
- Obama to Get Briefed on Military Plan Against IS
President Barack Obama is due to get a briefing Wednesday on "operational details" of a military campaign to combat Islamic State militants. The president will meet with General Lloyd Austin, the head of U.S. ...
Voice of America. Wed, 17 Sep 2014 04:59:04 -0400.
- Obama Presses Leaders to Speed Ebola Response
President Obama, warning that the disease could take hundreds of thousands of lives, called on other nations to help the United States as it leads the fight.
By Helene Cooper and Sheri Fink. International Herald Tribune. Wed, 17 Sep 2014 04:31:01 GMT.
Subscription may be required.
- U.S. Lawmakers Introduce New Russian Sanctions Legislation
The chairman and ranking member of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee introduced a new bill on September 16 stiffening sanctions against Russia and providing more military assistance to Ukraine.
Radio Liberty. Wed, 17 Sep 2014 03:51:16 +0000.
- Business Briefing: U.S. Steel’s Canada Subsidiary Files for Creditor Protection
The Canadian company has posted an operating loss of $2.4 billion over the last five years.
By Ian Austen. International Herald Tribune. Wed, 17 Sep 2014 02:01:35 GMT.
Subscription may be required.
- Comex Gold Ticks Modestly Higher On Position Squaring Ahead Of FOMC Outcome
(Kitco News) - U.S. gold futures rose modestly for the second day in a row Tuesday, helped in large part by traders buying to cover short positions ahead of the outcome of a two-day meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee.
By Kitco News. Forbes. Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:56:00 GMT.
- Obama vows to launch US air strikes against Isis in Syria
United States President Barack Obama has announced an open-ended bombing campaign against Islamic State militants in Syria.
Mail & Guardian. Fri, 12 Sep 2014 00:00:00 +0200.
- VIDEO: US fears for declining bird numbers
The United States puts 230 species of birds on a watch list because of their rapidly declining numbers.
BBC News. Tue, 09 Sep 2014 23:01:25 GMT.
- Man Booker Prize 2014: At a glance
This year's Man Booker Prize includes writers from Britain, the United States and Australia. It is the first year that the prize has been open to all authors writing in English, regardless of nationality.
BBC News. Tue, 09 Sep 2014 15:46:54 GMT.