Aggregated California News Articles
- Southwest sending team to review Boeing 737 MAX upgrade while parking jets
Southwest Airlines Co is sending a team to review Boeing Co's software upgrade for its 737 MAX airplanes, a spokeswoman told Reuters on Friday, even as it prepares to park its 34 MAX jets at a facility near the California desert.
Reuters. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 23:20:41 -0400.
- Art Mazmanian, star on USC's College World Series title team, dies at 91
Art Mazmanian, an All-American second baseman on Southern California's first College World Series championship team in 1948 who later coached future major leaguers, has died. He was 91. ...
Associated Press. Los Angeles Times. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 18:40:00 PDT.
- Personal Data of 2.3 Million Disaster Victims Was Released by FEMA, Report Says
The report said sensitive personal information of victims of the 2017 California wildfires and three hurricanes was needlessly shared with a contractor.
Christopher Mele. New York Times. Sat, 23 Mar 2019 01:07:30 GMT.
- March Fong Eu, former California secretary of state, gets building in Sacramento named after her
March Fong Eu, the legendary California assemblywoman and secretary of state, will have the secretary of state building in Sacramento named after her on Monday, March 25, 2019. ...
Drew Costley. SFGATE. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 23:50:39 UTC.
- PG&E objects to judge's proposals to prevent wildfires
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Pacific Gas & Electric Co. pushed back Friday on a U.S. ...
Sudhin Thanawala. Washington Times. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 19:33:57 -0400.
- California accounted for nearly three-quarters of US jobs added in February
California accounted for nearly three out of every four nonfarm jobs created in the nation during February, according to data released Friday.
CNBC. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 22:26 GMT.
- Watchdog: FEMA wrongly released personal data of victims
A government watchdog has found the Federal Emergency Management Agency wrongly released to a contractor the personal information of 2.3 million survivors of hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria and the California wildfires in 2017.
Colleen Long. Fox News. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 21:52:40 GMT.
- PG&E bankruptcy threatens major battery storage project
A major battery storage project that would help California replace three of its natural gas power plants may need to be scrapped as a result of PG&E Corp's bankruptcy, according to court documents filed this week.
Reuters. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 16:51:15 -0400.
- Thousands of California families living in RVs as exorbitant rents leave many facing homelessness
Cities and communities across California have seen an increase in homeless people living in RVs because of high rents, including families and full-time workers who simply can't make ends meet.
Daily Mail. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 20:47:17 GMT.
- Republicans ask Waters to delay vote on marijuana banking bill
Republicans on the House Financial Services Committee are seeking to postpone consideration of marijuana banking legislation scheduled to be brought to vote next week by the panel's Democratic chair, Rep. Maxine Waters of California. ...
Andrew Blake. Washington Times. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 16:41:44 -0400.
- California added 14,600 jobs in February as more people returned to the workforce
After a slow January, California employers boosted hiring in February as workers moved more rapidly off the sidelines into the job market, expanding the labor force. ...
Margot Roosevelt. Los Angeles Times. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 13:35:00 PDT.
- Flying stunt startles Los Angeles residents
A dramatic video shoot had stuntmen flying over Los Angeles in wing suits.
BBC News. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 20:09:29 GMT.
- Rare super bloom stuns visitors in Southern California
The golden poppy display came after a heavy rain season that has freed the state from a seven-year drought.
BBC News. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 18:34:16 GMT.
- California governor declares state of emergency due to increased wildfire risk
California Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a statewide emergency Friday as result of "a vast tree die-off throughout the state" and deteriorating forest conditions that have increased the risk of wildfires.
CNBC. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 17:57 GMT.
- Jury awards $6 million for baby's coffee burn at California resort
The child suffered third-degree burns at the Omni La Costa Resort and Spa.
Associated Press. Boston.com. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:40:06 +0000.
- California Water Service (CWT) Arm to Acquire Kalaeloa Water
California Water Service's (CWT) unit, Hawaii Water Service is set to expand its operation in Hawaii through the acquisition of Kalaeloa Water Company.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:32:00 GMT.
- Inside the wild week that made Bianca Andreescu a sudden star
From her career-changing title in the California desert to a storybook comeback win in Miami, it's been a whirlwind week of celebrity for the next big thing in tennis.
ESPN. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 09:09:29 EST.
- California Today: The West Hollywood School Where Proctors Are Suspected of Giving Test Answers
Friday: How prosecutors say William Singer helped students cheat on college exams; layoffs at Disney; and broth from Nyum Bai in Oakland
Jill Cowan. New York Times. Fri, 22 Mar 2019 13:08:13 GMT.
- Marines commandant protests US border deployments, wall
America's top marine warned that deployments to the US-Mexico border and President Donald Trump's plan for a wall pose an "unacceptable risk" to the force, according to documents revealed Thursday by The Los Angeles Times. ...
Yahoo. Thu, 21 Mar 2019 19:20:37 -0400.
- The Student Strike That Changed Higher Ed Forever
Black students at San Francisco State College walked out in a protest that led to the rise of ethnic studies departments at colleges and universities around the country.
Karen Grigsby Bates. NPR. Thu, 21 Mar 2019 17:17:17 -0400.
California Population Trends and Information Resources
The U. S. Census Bureau estimates the population of California as follows:
|Date||Estimated Population||Yearly % Change|
|July 1, 2016||39,250,017||0.66|
|July 1, 2015||38,993,940||0.81|
|July 1, 2014||38,680,810||0.90|
|July 1, 2013||38,335,203||0.85|
|July 1, 2012||38,011,074||0.89|
|July 1, 2011||37,676,861||0.92|
|July 1, 2010||37,332,685|| |
According to the 2010 census, the population of California was 37,253,956.
In 2008, the estimated population of California was 36,756,666, whereas
in 2006, the population of California was about 36,121,296.
For detailed, up-to-date information about California's demographics,
visit the U.S. Census Bureau's
QuickFacts about California
web page. For maps of California,
visit this California Map
The photograph above shows the state capitol building
in Sacramento, California.
California newspaper publishers
are listed here, along with their
addresses, phone numbers, and website links;
names, descriptions, and
website links are listed on this page.
More information about California
can be found here.
The News - News and Commentary about Events in California