Aggregated Illinois News Articles
- How the weekend unfolded: Timeline of Chicago protests, looting and unrest
Tense protests Friday over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25 turned into a weekend of violent unrest downtown in the Loop and along Michigan Avenue. Here is how some of the events unfolded.
Chicago Tribune Staff. Chicago Tribune. Sun, 31 May 2020 17:25:45 +0000.
- Jane Byrne Interchange project: Outbound Kennedy detour from inbound Eisenhower will create big traffic shift
Work on Chicago's Jane Byrne Interchange continues, and a new detour is about to create a big traffic shift.
Roz Varon. ABC News. Sun, 31 May 2020 17:23:01 +0000.
- Several Target stores to close temporarily across Chicago amid George Floyd protests
A company statement said the stores will be closed until further notice.
Wls. ABC News. Sun, 31 May 2020 16:23:08 +0000.
- Chicago George Floyd protests: City cleans up, reduces access into downtown area as it braces for more unrest
On the morning after a riotous night in Chicago, workers were boarding windows in the Loop and the city was on guard for more demonstrations, limiting access into downtown.
Chicago Tribune Staff. Chicago Tribune. Sun, 31 May 2020 16:23:05 +0000.
- Protests turn violent in Chicago as George Floyd demonstrations erupt across the nation
Crowds of thousands gathered in the Harlem section of Manhattan, Philadelphia, Chicago and at least 35 other cities on Saturday afternoon, chanting slogans and listening to speeches.
Daily Mail. Sun, 31 May 2020 14:05:25 GMT.
- Ripple effect of the coronavirus: College baseball programs canceled
The son of former Chicago Bears defensive end Alex Brown is looking for a new school after Furman cut its baseball program on May 18.
ESPN. Sun, 31 May 2020 08:46:46 EST.
- Sale of shut Philly refinery to real estate developer delayed
The closing of a $252 million sale of the Philadelphia Energy Solutions (PES) oil refinery to a Chicago-based real estate developer has been delayed, a city official and source with knowledge of the agreement said on Friday.
Reuters. Fri, 29 May 2020 20:57:58 -0400.
- Chicago mayor drops 'coded' f-bomb blasting Trump's controversial tweet on George Floyd protests
Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot (D) on Friday torched President Trump's ...
Brooke Seipel. The Hill. Sat, 30 May 2020 00:55:41 +0000.
- U.S. high court rejects church challenge to Illinois pandemic rules
The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday rejected a challenge to Illinois' restrictions on religious services during the coronavirus pandemic, noting that the state had lifted the limits in question. ...
Yahoo. Fri, 29 May 2020 19:22:16 -0400.
- U.S. high court rejects church challenges to state pandemic rules
The U.S. Supreme Court rejected challenges on Friday to curbs on religious services in California and Illinois during the coronavirus pandemic. ...
Yahoo. Fri, 29 May 2020 19:22:16 -0400.
- East Coast homebuilder turns attention to Phoenix after pulling out of Chicago
In the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, this homebuilder is right sizing its organization nationwide, which includes pulling out of the Chicago market and implementing furloughs and layoffs. ...
Angela Gonzales. American City Business Journals. Fri, 29 May 2020 16:00:00 +0000.
- Black voters don't trust mail ballots. That's a problem for Democrats
Sharon Fason used to accompany her mother to their south Chicago polling place every Election Day as a little girl, watching as she joined their African-American neighbors in the hard-won right of casting a ballot.
Reuters. Fri, 29 May 2020 07:04:26 -0400.
- Michael Jordan's untold story of how he switched back from No. 45 to No. 23 with Bulls
The story about Michael Jordan switching his number from No. 45 to No. 23 when he returned to the Chicago Bulls has been told several times. But here's the truth about it.
Daniel Canova. Fox News. Thu, 28 May 2020 22:18:42 GMT.
- Report Shows Massive Number of Students Are Receiving No Online Instruction During Shutdown
The report card is in on Chicago’s remote learning efforts that began when schools closed in March due to the coronavirus. The grade is an F. ...
Jack Davis. Western Journal. Wed, 27 May 2020 23:59:50 +0000.
- Comtech Acquires NG-911 to Augment Emergency Call Services
Comtech's (CMTL) subsidiary completes NG-911 acquisition to reinforce emergency 9-1-1 call handling services as well as strengthen its customer base across Iowa and Illinois.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Wed, 27 May 2020 15:33:00 GMT.
Illinois Population Trends and Information Resources
The U. S. Census Bureau estimates the population of Illinois as follows:
|Date||Estimated Population||Yearly % Change|
|July 1, 2016||12,801,539||-0.29|
|July 1, 2015||12,839,047||-0.22|
|July 1, 2014||12,867,544||-0.09|
|July 1, 2013||12,879,505||0.07|
|July 1, 2012||12,870,798||0.08|
|July 1, 2011||12,860,012||0.14|
|July 1, 2010||12,841,578|| |
According to the 2010 census, the population of Illinois was 12,830,632.
In 2008, the estimated population of Illinois was 12,901,563, whereas
in 2006, the population of Illinois was about 12,759,673.
For detailed, up-to-date information about Illinois' demographics,
visit the U.S. Census Bureau's
QuickFacts about Illinois
web page. For maps of Illinois,
visit this Illinois Map
The photograph above shows the state capitol building
in Springfield, Illinois.
Illinois newspaper publishers
are listed here, along with their
addresses, phone numbers, and website links;
names, descriptions, and
website links are listed on this page.
More information about Illinois
can be found here.
The News - News and Commentary about Events in Illinois