Aggregated Illinois News Articles
- Chicago protests: North Side protest marches on Lake Shore Drive in Lakeview, Uptown
Thousands of protestors chanted George Floyd's name as they marched more than a mile from the Belmont CTA station in Lakeview to Uptown.
Wls. ABC News. Tue, 02 Jun 2020 03:37:03 +0000.
- Chicago police grapple with near-overwhelming unrest as Gov.Pritzker calls up more National Guard
Chicago police have been grappling with an overwhelming number of 911 calls amid the waves of unrest roiling Chicago over the weekend and into the week.
Chuck Goudie. ABC News. Tue, 02 Jun 2020 02:57:04 +0000.
- Trump, Illinois governor spar during call over get-tough talk
A conversation during which President Donald Trump urged U.S. state governors to crack down on nationwide protests became testy on Monday when Illinois governor J.B. Pritzker accused Trump of making the situation worse.
Reuters. Mon, 01 Jun 2020 21:40:40 -0400.
- How the weekend unfolded: Timeline of Chicago protests, looting and unrest
Tense protests Friday over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25 turned into a weekend of violent unrest downtown in the Loop and along Michigan Avenue. Here is how some of the events unfolded.
Jonathon Berlin, Kori Rumore. Chicago Tribune. Tue, 02 Jun 2020 01:32:12 +0000.
- After a weekend of chaos, the fallout: Authorities and activists react to a wave of arrests
After a weekend of protests was overshadowed by widespread looting and intense gun violence, Chicagoans on Monday were left to grapple with the fallout.
Javonte Anderson, Jason Meisner, Megan Crepeau. Chicago Tribune. Tue, 02 Jun 2020 00:06:22 +0000.
- Heavily-armed white man let him go from Chicago protests despite breaking state gun law
A heavily-armed man at a Chicago protest has been revealed as a private security guard - a member of a booming profession. Owners of private security firms told DailyMail.com demand was rocketing.
Daily Mail. Mon, 01 Jun 2020 23:00:19 GMT.
- Governors blast Trump: President's rhetoric on George Floyd protests is 'dangerous' and 'making it worse'
Illinois Gov. Jay Pritzker and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer criticized President Donald Trump for his comments on the George Floyd protests.
CNBC. Mon, 01 Jun 2020 19:58:58 GMT.
- George Floyd protest live updates: Trump calls governors 'weak'; Chicago violence 'spread like wildfire,' mayor says
In Chicago, violence 'spread like wildfire,' Mayor Lightfoot says. In New York, police cars burned. Meanwhile, Trump calls for crackdown on protesters.
John Bacon, Usa Today. Burlington Free Press. Mon, 01 Jun 2020 17:30:32 +0000.
- Chicago Public Schools suspends free meal program
The suspension was announced just hours after the school system's CEO offered assurances that free meals would continue.
CBS News. Mon, 01 Jun 2020 12:27:00 -0400.
- Bears' Nagy praises Trubisky's approach to competition
Mitchell Trubisky enters a prove-it year with the Chicago Bears, and head coach Matt Nagy praises the incumbent starter for not shrinking from competition with Nick Foles.
Reuters. Mon, 01 Jun 2020 11:36:43 -0400.
- When Al Capone Ran a Soup Kitchen During the Great Depression
During the Great Depression, 50 percent of Chicago's workforce was out of a job. Al Capone, the city's bloodthirstiest gangster, stepped in feed the hungry.
Shoshi Parks. Mental Floss. Mon, 01 Jun 2020 11:00:00 +0000.
- 16 dead, at least 30 injured in second straight weekend of violence in Chicago
Officials in Chicago said Monday that the city registered 16 deaths and at least 30 injured in shootings across the region over the weekend.
Edmund Demarche. Fox News. Mon, 01 Jun 2020 04:39:02 GMT.
- Michael Jordan on death of George Floyd: 'We have had enough'
Chicago Bulls legend and NBA icon Michael Jordan released a statement on the death of George Floyd.
Daniel Canova. Fox News. Sun, 31 May 2020 21:43:22 GMT.
- Leaders plead for an end to violence as cities brace for sixth night of protests
Cities throughout the country extended curfew for Sunday, including Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco and more.
CBS News. Sun, 31 May 2020 16:53:17 -0400.
- Ripple effect of the coronavirus: College baseball programs canceled
The son of former Chicago Bears defensive end Alex Brown is looking for a new school after Furman cut its baseball program on May 18.
ESPN. Sun, 31 May 2020 08:46:46 EST.
Illinois Population Trends and Information Resources
The U. S. Census Bureau estimates the population of Illinois as follows:
|Date||Estimated Population||Yearly % Change|
|July 1, 2016||12,801,539||-0.29|
|July 1, 2015||12,839,047||-0.22|
|July 1, 2014||12,867,544||-0.09|
|July 1, 2013||12,879,505||0.07|
|July 1, 2012||12,870,798||0.08|
|July 1, 2011||12,860,012||0.14|
|July 1, 2010||12,841,578|| |
According to the 2010 census, the population of Illinois was 12,830,632.
In 2008, the estimated population of Illinois was 12,901,563, whereas
in 2006, the population of Illinois was about 12,759,673.
For detailed, up-to-date information about Illinois' demographics,
visit the U.S. Census Bureau's
QuickFacts about Illinois
web page. For maps of Illinois,
visit this Illinois Map
The photograph above shows the state capitol building
in Springfield, Illinois.
Illinois newspaper publishers
are listed here, along with their
addresses, phone numbers, and website links;
names, descriptions, and
website links are listed on this page.
More information about Illinois
can be found here.
The News - News and Commentary about Events in Illinois