Aggregated Virginia News Articles
- Chase eyes former Hops brewery in Alexandria for new branch
The planned branch is a short walk to the new Potomac Yard Metro station and Virginia Tech's innovation campus.
Daniel J. Sernovitz. American City Business Journals. Wed, 31 May 2023 18:01:08 +0000.
- PNC closing 26 more Giant Food branches in Maryland and Northern Virginia
This is the fourth round of closures the bank has disclosed this year as part a previously announced plan to eliminate in-store branches.
Patty Tascarella. American City Business Journals. Wed, 31 May 2023 14:31:30 +0000.
- Are Railroad Companies Becoming More Employee Friendly?
Here we pick four railroad stocks, Union Pacific (UNP), Canadian National (CNI), Norfolk Southern (NSC) and CSX Corporation (CSX), which have recently entered into collective deals with the unions.
Sanjana Goswami. Zacks. Wed, 31 May 2023 13:53:00 GMT.
- James Paget Hospital issued CQC warning over maternity unit
Inspectors find there were 30 "red flags" raised at an NHS hospital serving Norfolk and Suffolk.
BBC News. Wed, 31 May 2023 05:08:09 GMT.
- Arrest Made in Murder of Republican Lawmaker Killed Outside Her Home
A Virginia man has been arrested in the shooting death of a Republican New Jersey city councilwoman that occurred nearly four months ago. ...
Johnathan Jones. Western Journal. Tue, 30 May 2023 22:04:32 +0000.
- Arrest made in the murder of New Jersey councilwoman, authorities say
Police arrested Rashid Ali Bynum, 28, of Portsmouth, Virginia, in connection with the murder, officials announced Tuesday.
CBS News. Tue, 30 May 2023 16:22:00 -0400.
- Mini Stores Will Grow For Many Major Retailers
The first Bloomie's store was opened in Fairfax, Virginia.
By Walter Loeb, Senior Contributor. Forbes. Mon, 29 May 2023 06:45:00 -0400.
- Forward march: Military bases removing names of Confederates
The U.S. Army is stripping the names of Confederate generals from bases like Fort Pickett in Virginia, to be replaced with those of American heroes and heroines, including people of color. ...
CBS News. Sun, 28 May 2023 09:21:24 -0400.
- Pressure mounts on eco-zealots to reveal where lambs stolen from Royal Sandringham estate are
Animal-rights zealots and members of Animal Rising who snatched three young sheep from the Appleton Farm in Norfolk are facing demands to disclose where they are being held.
Daily Mail. Sun, 28 May 2023 01:58:10 +0100.
- Police bodycam footage released in Virginia officer's fatal shooting of U-Haul theft suspect
- Norfolk Southern (NSC) Up 5.2% Since Last Earnings Report: Can It Continue?
Norfolk Southern (NSC) reported earnings 30 days ago. What's next for the stock? We take a look at earnings estimates for some clues.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Fri, 26 May 2023 15:31:34 GMT.
- Engineering Racial Outcomes
A federal appeals court ruling on admissions at a prestigious Virginia high school could have major implications for future court fights over affirmative action.
Robert Verbruggen. City Journal. Thu, 25 May 2023 16:35:13 +0000.
- Strictly Come Dancing: Crochet dolls meet real life inspirations
Ellen Siegert, 18, from Norfolk, presents her mini Strictly cast to their real life dancer doubles.
BBC News. Thu, 25 May 2023 11:59:47 GMT.
- High School Did Not Discriminate Against Asian American Students, Court Rules
Parents had objected to Thomas Jefferson High School in Virginia changing its admissions policies, including getting rid of an exam. The case appears headed for the Supreme Court.
New York Times. Tue, 23 May 2023 22:34:19 +0000.
Virginia Population Trends and Information Resources
The U. S. Census Bureau estimates the population of Virginia as follows:
|Date||Estimated Population||Yearly % Change|
|July 1, 2016||8,411,808||0.53|
|July 1, 2015||8,367,587||0.60|
|July 1, 2014||8,317,372||0.66|
|July 1, 2013||8,262,692||0.86|
|July 1, 2012||8,192,048||1.01|
|July 1, 2011||8,110,035||1.05|
|July 1, 2010||8,025,773|| |
According to the 2010 census, the population of Virginia was 8,001,024.
In 2008, the estimated population of Virginia was 7,769,089, whereas
in 2006, the population of Virginia was about 7,628,347.
For detailed, up-to-date information about Virginia's demographics,
visit the U.S. Census Bureau's
QuickFacts about Virginia
web page. For maps of Virginia,
visit this Virginia Map
The photograph above shows the state capitol building
in Richmond, Virginia.
Virginia newspaper publishers
are listed here, along with their
addresses, phone numbers, and website links;
names, descriptions, and
website links are listed on this page.
More information about Virginia
can be found here.
The News - News and Commentary about Events in Virginia