Aggregated Virginia News Articles
- Pentagon identifies police officer killed in attack
The Pentagon police officer slain at the Arlington, Virginia, transit center Tuesday was identified as George Gonzalez, an Iraq War veteran.
ABC News. Wed, 04 Aug 2021 17:01:56 -0400.
- 1,400-year-old Anglo-Saxon sword pyramid found by metal detector in Norfolk
Sword pyramids, which came in pairs, helped to secure a weapon to its scabbard. This one was found in Norfolk and dates to 560-630 AD, when the area was part of the Kingdom of East Anglia.
Daily Mail. Wed, 04 Aug 2021 20:22:44 GMT.
- TBJ Plus: Is UNC football for real?; $1.5M Raleigh home goes viral; New eco-devo leader in Fuquay
With a lot of offensive firepower returning in 2021, the UNC football team is getting a lot of hype just weeks before the Tar Heels kick off against Virginia Tech.
David Purtell. American City Business Journals. Wed, 04 Aug 2021 17:21:32 +0000.
- Norfolk Southern (NSC) Cheers Investors With 10% Dividend Hike
Norfolk Southern (NSC) raises dividend for the second time this year as its operations continue to improve on uptick in volumes.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Tue, 03 Aug 2021 17:29:00 GMT.
- Conservative Group, Seizing on Crime as an Issue, Seeks Recall of Prosecutors
A group backed by undisclosed donors is targeting three Democratic prosecutors in Northern Virginia for recall campaigns in a test of what could be a national strategy in 2022.
Kenneth P. Vogel. New York Times. Tue, 03 Aug 2021 13:37:45 +0000.
- Charlottesville Zoning Plan Prompts Debate Over Racial Justice
Four years after a white supremacist march, the Virginia city is reconsidering its housing and zoning rules.
Campbell Robertson. New York Times. Tue, 03 Aug 2021 01:36:35 +0000.
- Inova Health System wants to expand its behavioral health capacity as demand mounts
The health system's proposed expansion comes alongside multiple efforts to fill the behavioral health services void in Northern Virginia.
Sara Gilgore. American City Business Journals. Mon, 02 Aug 2021 15:33:49 +0000.
- Virginia School Board Rejects Transgender Mandate, Sets Up Battle with State Democrats
A Virginia county is about to lock horns with the state government of the Old Dominion. ...
C. Douglas Golden. Western Journal. Sun, 01 Aug 2021 17:23:34 +0000.
- Afghans who assisted U.S. arrive at Virginia base. Many others remain in peril
The first flight of Afghan contractors landed Friday in Virginia as the administration scrambles to relocate interpreters and contractors to safety.
Eli Stokols. Los Angeles Times. Fri, 30 Jul 2021 05:01:26 -0400.
- Virginia's McAuliffe touts endorsement from group that supports defunding police, abolishing prisons
New Virginia Majority made the announcement last week, prompting the candidate to say on Twitter he was "proud to be endorsed" by them.
Houston Keene. Fox News. Wed, 28 Jul 2021 17:13:17 GMT.
- Norfolk Southern (NSC) Tops Q2 Earnings and Revenue Estimates
Norfolk Southern (NSC) delivered earnings and revenue surprises of 11.56% and 1.74%, respectively, for the quarter ended June 2021. Do the numbers hold clues to what lies ahead for the stock?
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Wed, 28 Jul 2021 13:25:02 GMT.
- Roads and properties flooded after heavy rain in Norfolk
Norfolk Fire Service deals with about 20 flooding-related incidents in Thetford on Tuesday evening.
BBC News. Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:17:18 GMT.
- Covid patient discharged after 203 days in Norfolk hospital
Sean Hunte's family was called three times to say their goodbyes to the 58-year-old teacher.
BBC News. Tue, 27 Jul 2021 17:34:36 GMT.
- Will Norfolk Southern Stock Move Higher Following Q2 Results?
Norfolk Southern stock (NYSE: NSC) is scheduled to report its Q2 2021 results on Wednesday, July 28. We expect Norfolk Southern to likely post revenue and earnings largely in-line with the street expectations. ...
By Trefis Team, Contributor. Forbes. Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:30:00 -0400.
Virginia Population Trends and Information Resources
The U. S. Census Bureau estimates the population of Virginia as follows:
|Date||Estimated Population||Yearly % Change|
|July 1, 2016||8,411,808||0.53|
|July 1, 2015||8,367,587||0.60|
|July 1, 2014||8,317,372||0.66|
|July 1, 2013||8,262,692||0.86|
|July 1, 2012||8,192,048||1.01|
|July 1, 2011||8,110,035||1.05|
|July 1, 2010||8,025,773|| |
According to the 2010 census, the population of Virginia was 8,001,024.
In 2008, the estimated population of Virginia was 7,769,089, whereas
in 2006, the population of Virginia was about 7,628,347.
For detailed, up-to-date information about Virginia's demographics,
visit the U.S. Census Bureau's
QuickFacts about Virginia
web page. For maps of Virginia,
visit this Virginia Map
The photograph above shows the state capitol building
in Richmond, Virginia.
Virginia newspaper publishers
are listed here, along with their
addresses, phone numbers, and website links;
names, descriptions, and
website links are listed on this page.
More information about Virginia
can be found here.
The News - News and Commentary about Events in Virginia