United States News
- Democratic senator will introduce bill mandating social distancing on flights after flying on packed flight
Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) announced Friday he intends to introduce a bill banning the sale of tickets for middle seats on flights for as long as the coronavirus pandemic is impacting the U.S.
Tal Axelrod. The Hill. Sat, 04 Jul 2020 02:32:42 +0000.
- Head of Hispanic group urges Latinas not to join military after Vanessa Guillen's death
The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) has called for a third party investigation into the disappearance of Army soldier Vanessa Guillen, and is urging women not to join the military.
Caitlin Mcfall. Fox News. Sat, 04 Jul 2020 01:22:23 GMT.
- U.S. Coronavirus Cases Are Rising Sharply, but Deaths Are Still Down
This seemingly counterintuitive trend might not last, experts said. But the nation can still learn from the decline.
Katherine J. Wu. New York Times. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 21:58:07 +0000.
- Colleges want in-person teaching for fall semester, but professors are pushing back
Colleges are pushing for a return to in-person teaching in the fall, but professors are refusing to comply due to coronavirus fears.
Peter Aitken. Fox News. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 21:14:25 GMT.
- Robert Hockett on reparations for Black Americans
Robert Hockett, Edward Cornell Professor of Law at Cornell Law School, highlights the significance of Reconstruction for the U.S. and why 2020 is the right time to re-introduce it.
Yahoo. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 17:09:45 -0400.
- Photos show officers reenacting chokehold on Elijah McClain
Three officers from the Aurora Police Department have been fired over a photo reenacting the chokehold that preceded Elijah McClain's death.
CBS News. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 17:09:31 -0400.
- Fourth of July Fireworks Canceled Across U.S. as Coronavirus Surges
As many as 80 percent of the holiday fireworks displays in large cities and small towns have been canceled because of the pandemic.
Julie Creswell. New York Times. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 21:06:38 +0000.
- CBS Sports Connected: The American Dream
CBS is taking a closer look at how race is discussed in sports. CBS special correspondent and host of "NFL Today," James Brown, spoke with Milwaukuee Bucks players Kyle Korver and George Hill about their friendship. ...
CBS News. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 16:46:42 -0400.
- Redskins agree review of team's name
The review comes after FedEx told the Washington DC-based American football team to rename itself.
BBC News. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 16:05:35 GMT.
- 80 Artists Expose Abuses In U.S. Detention Centers By Using Skywriting
Spearheaded by visual and performance artists Cassils and rafa esparza in collaboration with 80 other artists, a national art project will focus light on migrant detentions and the culture of incarceration.
By Andy J. Semotiuk, Contributor. Forbes. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 12:00:08 -0400.
- Coronavirus Upends July 4th: Florida Closes Beaches, Mexico Blocks Border, And Much More
The U.S. saw 55,000 new coronavirus cases on Thursday alone.
By Sarah Hansen, Forbes Staff. Forbes. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 11:21:01 -0400.
- Confirmed coronavirus cases rising in 40 of 50 states
Four U.S. states -- Arizona, California, Florida and Texas -- reported a combined 25,000 new confirmed coronavirus cases as the infection curve rose in 40 of the 50 states heading into the July Fourth holiday weekend.
Ap. ABC News. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 14:53:24 +0000.
- Hanesbrands Ramps Up Face Mask Production Amid Coronavirus
Hanesbrands (HBI) is producing cloth face coverings and medical gowns for the U.S. government amid the coronavirus pandemic. The company also introduced two types of face masks.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 14:32:00 GMT.
- U.S. Rig Count Declines for the Fourth Consecutive Month
With oil prices recovering gradually, most analysts opine that the decline in the tally of monthly rig will narrow down further.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 13:14:00 GMT.
- Coronavirus live updates: Texas mandates face coverings; jobs may not fully recover in some U.S. industries
The coronavirus has now infected more than 10.84 million people around the world as of Friday morning, killing at least 520,785 people.
CNBC. Fri, 03 Jul 2020 11:29:27 GMT.
U.S. News Services
- AP - the Associated Press.
- UPI - United Press International.
U.S.-based TV and Internet News Providers
- NPR - National Public Radio.
- CNN - Cable News Network.
- Fox News - Fox News Network.
- CBS News - Columbia Broadcasting Service News.
- ABC News - American Broadcasting Corporation News.
- MSNBC - a Microsoft and NBC news venture.
Major U.S. Newspapers
In 2017, the estimated population of the USA was 325,719,178.
For detailed, up-to-date information about United States and World population,
visit the United States Census Bureau's Population Clock
The photograph above shows the United States White House in Washington, DC.
More extensive news coverage about more than 400 subjects, aggregated from carefully chosen news sources,
can be found on this USA Regional News website.
The News - News and Commentary about Events in the USA