United States News
- Aurora Shooting Updates: 5 Killed and Several Others Wounded
A gunman opened fire inside a workplace in Aurora, Ill., on Friday. Five people were killed, and others, including five police officers, were injured. The gunman also died.
Julie Bosman and Mitch Smith. New York Times. Sat, 16 Feb 2019 01:11:09 GMT.
- Five killed as gunman opens fire at Illinois warehouse
A gunman opened fire in a warehouse in Aurora, Illinois, on Friday, killing five people and wounding five police officers before he was slain, law enforcement officials said.
Reuters. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 19:41:36 -0500.
- Gang leader called top 'trigger puller' gets life sentence
A man who prosecutors called Baltimore's "number one trigger puller" has been sentenced to life in prison for a gang conspiracy involving drug trafficking and killings.
Fox News. Sat, 16 Feb 2019 00:33:39 GMT.
- Trump to nominate Jeffrey Byard as U.S. emergency management chief
President Donald Trump intends to nominate Jeffrey Byard, a senior official at the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency, to be its administrator, replacing Brock Long who said this week he was resigning, the White House said on Friday.
Reuters. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 19:21:54 -0500.
- Payless Shoes to close all of its remaining US stores
Payless ShoeSource to shutter all of its U.S. stores, joining a list of iconic names like Toys R Us that have liquidated in the last year
ABC News. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 19:20:38 -0500.
- Teen given 25 years in custody for friend's fatal stabbing
A Texas jury has convicted a 14-year-old girl in the fatal stabbing of her friend.
Fox News. Sat, 16 Feb 2019 00:13:53 GMT.
- U.S. Supreme Court to decide legality of census citizenship query
The justices, in a brief order, granted the administration's request to hear its appeal of Manhattan-based U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman's Jan. 15 ruling even before a lower appeals court has considered the matter. ...
Yahoo. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:51:24 -0500.
- Sharon Mattes, 48, Dies; Central Figure in a Gay Custody Case
When she entered into a same-sex relationship, her mother sued for custody of her young son, and won.
Neil Genzlinger. New York Times. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 23:38:25 GMT.
- WATCH: Mike Pence calls out European nations for not withdrawing from Iran nuclear deal
The vice president said that if Iran does not change its behavior, the regime could see sanctions from the United States.
ABC News. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:22:13 -0500.
- Canada's main stock index reaches highest level since Oct. 5
Canada's main stock index posted a triple-digit gain Friday after oil hit a three-month high to extend the market's winning streak to six weeks. Stock markets responded positively to optimism about possible U.S.-China trade deal.
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 17:59:17 EST.
- U.S. reduces troop numbers in Afghanistan
The U.S. military has reduced the number of troops in Afghanistan from 14,000 to 12,000, but this is not yet a large-scale withdrawal. CBS News national security correspondent David Martin joins CBSN with the latest.
CBS News. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 22:02:47 +0000.
- Vice President Mike Pence urges allies to leave Iran nuclear deal
Vice President Mike Pence used a speech in Warsaw to criticize European allies over circumventing U.S. sanctions on Iran and urge them to leave the Iran nuclear deal. ...
CBS News. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:45:50 +0000.
- Berkshire Hathaway's Charlie Munger Says U.S. In "Uncharted Territory" Over $22 Trillion National Debt
Berkshire Hathaway's Charlie Munger, 'The Sage of Omaha' Warren Buffett's business partner, has given a wide ranging interview with Becky Quick on CNBC's Squawk Box show today, covering topics including the U.S. ...
By Roger Aitken, Contributor. Forbes. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 16:28:00 -0500.
- UNICEF USA BrandVoice: Vending Machines Make Charitable Giving As Easy As Pulling A Lever
This past holiday season, LDS Charities and UNICEF USA teamed up to help children.
By Unicef Usa Contributor, Unicef Usa. Forbes. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 16:19:42 -0500.
- PRO Talks: Leuthold investments strategist Ramsey likes value, overseas stocks
Chief Investment Officer of The Leuthold Group Doug Ramsey said U.S. equities may still be in the throes of an extended bear market.
CNBC. Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:07 GMT.
U.S. News Services
- AP - the Associated Press.
- UPI - United Press International.
U.S.-based TV and Internet News Providers
- NPR - National Public Radio.
- CNN - Cable News Network.
- Fox News - Fox News Network.
- CBS News - Columbia Broadcasting Service News.
- ABC News - American Broadcasting Corporation News.
- MSNBC - a Microsoft and NBC news venture.
Major U.S. Newspapers
In 2017, the estimated population of the USA was 325,719,178.
For detailed, up-to-date information about United States and World population,
visit the United States Census Bureau's Population Clock
The photograph above shows the United States White House in Washington, DC.
More extensive news coverage about more than 400 subjects, aggregated from carefully chosen news sources,
can be found on this USA Regional News website.
The News - News and Commentary about Events in the USA