Aggregated Maryland News Articles
- GOP Senator Introduces Bill To Give D.C. To Maryland As Statehood Bill Heads To Senate
Many Republicans in Congress, including Mitt Romney and Lindsey Graham, have endorsed Maryland retrocession as an alternative to statehood.
By Andrew Solender, Forbes Staff. Forbes. Thu, 22 Apr 2021 20:07:30 -0400.
- Is Baltimore ready to return to in-person events? Here's what our exclusive survey found.
The survey offers some encouraging signs for a live-events industry that lost an estimated $30 billion in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Ty West. American City Business Journals. Thu, 22 Apr 2021 19:07:20 +0000.
- Columbia-based ezStorage set to be acquired by Public Storage for $1.8B
The company has 48 large self-storage developments in Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia.
Melody Simmons. American City Business Journals. Thu, 22 Apr 2021 19:00:56 +0000.
- People with big BELLIES more at risk of heart disease regardless of BMI, says US study
In the study, researchers from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute at the National Institutes of Health in Maryland looked at the link between body fat dispersal and heart disease.
Daily Mail. Thu, 22 Apr 2021 12:31:38 GMT.
- Lisa Boothe, former Democrat official spar over DC statehood 'power grab': What if Washington was 'red'?
Boothe says Maryland Rep. Raskin 'gave up the game' when he criticized the Senate as an 'obstacle to progress'
Charles Creitz. Fox News. Wed, 21 Apr 2021 21:55:40 GMT.
- Fire breaks out at Baltimore's iconic Domino Sugar factory
A fire at the Domino Sugar plant sent white smoke billowing over the Inner Harbor in Baltimore on Tuesday.
CNBC. Wed, 21 Apr 2021 15:53:34 GMT.
- FDA Issues Scathing Report Of Baltimore Warehouse Where Johnson & Johnson Vaccines Were Ruined
The report said the facility did not properly train personnel or adequately clean the warehouse.
By Melissa Holzberg, Forbes Staff. Forbes. Wed, 21 Apr 2021 11:44:43 -0400.
- Archaeologists Solve a Decades-Old Harriet Tubman Mystery
State and federal officials announced on Tuesday that they had located the site of the Maryland cabin where the Underground Railroad conductor lived as a young adult.
Sarah Bahr. New York Times. Tue, 20 Apr 2021 21:38:04 +0000.
- Baltimore PD accused of routinely targeting African Americans
The U.S. Justice Department unloaded on Baltimore's police department Wednesday, accusing officers of routinely targeting African Americans. Federal and local officials are now demanding change. Jeff Pegues reports.
CBS News. Tue, 20 Apr 2021 16:34:11 -0400.
- Archaeologists say Harriet Tubman's home discovered in Maryland
Maryland state officials said in a news release Monday that archaeologists working on land owned by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service believe they have discovered the home where abolitionist legend Harriet Tubman lived ...
John Bowden. The Hill. Tue, 20 Apr 2021 15:24:16 +0000.
- Thousand-year storm brings deadly flooding to Maryland
A weekend storm dumped six inches of rain in less than two hours in Ellicott City, Maryland. The resulting deadly floods left hundreds of buildings damaged and cars stacked on top of each other. Errol Barnett reports.
CBS News. Tue, 20 Apr 2021 08:48:11 -0400.
- Tribune signals a preference for a sale to a New York hedge fund.
After a Swiss billionaire pulled out of a possible deal, the newspaper chain cut off talks, for now, with his partner, the Maryland hotelier Stewart Bainum Jr.
Katie Robertson. New York Times. Tue, 20 Apr 2021 00:21:50 +0000.
- Rangers beat O's 1-0 in 10 in duel of opening day starters
Nate Lowe singled with two outs and the bases loaded in the 10th inning, giving the Texas Rangers a 1-0 victory over the Baltimore Orioles on Sunday in a pitcher's duel between a pair of opening starters.
Fox News. Sun, 18 Apr 2021 22:06:11 GMT.
- Maryland state trooper fatally shoots 16-year-old after reports of an armed man
Maryland State Police are investigating a trooper-involved fatal shooting in Leonardtown that ended in the death of a 16-year-old.
ABC News. Tue, 13 Apr 2021 23:02:57 -0400.
Maryland Population Trends and Information Resources
The U. S. Census Bureau estimates the population of Maryland as follows:
|Date||Estimated Population||Yearly % Change|
|July 1, 2016||6,016,447||0.36|
|July 1, 2015||5,994,983||0.46|
|July 1, 2014||5,967,295||0.61|
|July 1, 2013||5,931,129||0.70|
|July 1, 2012||5,889,651||0.79|
|July 1, 2011||5,843,603||0.95|
|July 1, 2010||5,788,584|| |
According to the 2010 census, the population of Maryland was 5,773,552.
In 2008, the estimated population of Maryland was 5,633,597, whereas
in 2006, the population of Maryland was about 5,602,258.
For detailed, up-to-date information about Maryland's demographics,
visit the U.S. Census Bureau's
QuickFacts about Maryland
web page. For maps of Maryland,
visit this Maryland Map
The photograph above shows the state capitol building
in Annapolis, Maryland.
Maryland newspaper publishers
are listed here, along with their
addresses, phone numbers, and website links;
names, descriptions, and
website links are listed on this page.
More information about Maryland
can be found here.
The News - News and Commentary about Events in Maryland